As Shannon already implied, I have had quite the experience in Delaware. I arrived Saturday, checked in to my room, and, to my amazement, was greeted by three small creatures. I am not spooked by roaches like some people are, but I don't necessarily want to live with them either. That's right, the creatures were roaches. Along with the animal kingdom's surprise, the TV and lamp didn't work, and there was no toilet paper or towels in the bathroom. I claim to be a simplistic being, but this took me to my limit.
I went to the office and complained (to say I complained is an understatement) and told them I wanted a cleaner room and my money back until such a room was found. After refunding my money, they sent me to check out their only other non-smoking room available. I went in, looked it over and decided it was clean enough--anything was clean compared to the trash heap I had just escaped from. On my way back to the office to reserve the room, I stopped into my associate's room to give an update.
Just when I thought the night couldn't get any worse, it did. Upon returning to the office, the man behind the front desk informed me that I had taken too long to look over the room. Since I had been gone, someone else had come in looking for a room, and the clerk had decided to give it to him. I got angry (to say that I was angry is an understatement) and told him what he did was wrong and shamed the hospitality industry. His response: "There's nothing I can do." At this point, I only had two options--that is, either go back to the trash heap for the night or get out on the road and try to find somewhere to stay.
I did hit the road and found a room at the Comfort Inn. It felt like heaven in there. No roaches, a workable lamp and tv, and other amenities brought me back to life. I slept there for the night, had a great breakfast, and headed for the Church the next morning.
I parked about a block from the Church in a residential area. I got out of my car and noticed a lady gardening in the yard of a beautiful house. I asked her if it was okay that I parked there, and she told me that was fine. She then asked if I was going to the Church down the street for the Sunday service. I told her I was, and then I explained that I was going to be helping them with a fundraising project for about 5 weeks. One thing led to another, which eventually led to her question: Well, do you have a place to stay? I told her of my wretched experience the night before, and she told me that she had two rooms for rent. I looked at my watch and asked if I could stop by after church with my associate to see the house and rooms.
Long story short, we are staying in this beautiful house a block from the church. We are living and working in historic Lewes, Delaware and are having a great time. We really don't have to drive anywhere as the church is a block away, as are cool WiFi cafes, coffeehouses, and a Homemade Ice Cream Shop. We are also only a couple of blocks from the beach and one block from the harbor.
As for the house: It is a three story, colonial home surrounded by lush gardens. My room is on the third floor and has great views of the gardens and harbor. Out front is a cozy front porch equipped with a swing and chairs for evenings of reading and reflection. Last night I sat out there and listened to the little league game going on two streets over. I will probably take in a game or two before I leave. I love this little town.
So that is my story so far (to say it has been a providential is an understatement).
Romance.
13 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment