Wednesday, July 12, 2006

In the land of the living

I think the past week must really have lasted about a month, because so much as happened. It was a week ago today that I spent my last day at the library, said goodbye to those friends, and packed the last box in my office. Since then, we have packed up a small (but FULL) apartment, with the help of several integral and loyal friends - thank you all for your time and energy. It won't ever be forgotten. Without the use of 2 good arms, packing was much more of a hassle than what would usually be the case. Since I haven't reported this yet, I ended up having to have a cast put on my arm that quickly became the bane of my existence. I most enthusiastically had it taken off after the last box was packed and put away in our storage facility on Monday morning. I don't know whether it was the fact that I hadn't eaten all morning, hadn't had more than a few hours of sleep, or the description by the doctor of how the bones were rubbing together against the healed fracture, but I passed out. I've given Sean quite a few scares this past month, poor guy. All is well now, though.

This past week I've also had to say goodbyes to those friends with whom I've shared many experiences these past 8 years. Goodbyes are always and will continue to be hard, but I leave knowing that God is taking care of those people and that we will be sure to keep one another close at heart with the help of some of these modern marvels of internet and phone lines. Call anytime!

Sean and I headed south for a short vacation on Tuesday at Hilton Head Island, SC, which is where we are now. We SLEPT until noon (or at least I did) and then we headed out to the beach for the afternoon, our conversation frequently interspersed with the joy of knowing that we don't have to lift another box for an indefinite period of time. Right now, we are at a lively local coffee bar called Java Joe's that happens to have free Wifi, which I think has become our newest obsession, now that we are both wireless and homeless. After this trip, we are headed over to GA to visit with my family, and I'm really looking forward to time spent with loved ones, the mountains, and no alarm clocks. So, we'll keep you posted on any news we hear, some of which should be coming soon!

And happy birthday to a dear friend. I look forward to seeing you and your cutie soon!

No comments: